The port consists of steps hich were constructed around 1840 to make it easier for the many travellers to board the
steam boats that navigated the river Saône.
THE TOURIST OFFICE
Built between 1675 and 1710, this was a staging post for coaches and wagons, where horses were changed and merchandise stored.
THE COLMONT FUSSELET MANSION
Built in 1773 facing the river Saône, it now houses the Heritage Centre which relates the 2000 years of Chalon’s history.
TOWER KNOWN AS “COCO LOUVRIER”
A watch tower which in the middle ages formed part of the fortifications on the banks of the Saône. It gets its name from a money lender who lived in the tower around 1800, and whose portrait can be seen in the Denon Museum.
Dating from 1459, the bridge over La Genise, a natural arm of the Saône, was repaired in 1682 before collapsing in 1696. Rebuilt in 1699 with solid piers, domed deck and basket handle arches, it was enlarged in 1857 and strengthened in 1942.
THE LOMBARDS’ HOUSE
This stone tower house built in the 13th century would have belonged to one of the notable Lombardy Jewish families, known for their role as money lenders during the great fairs of the Middle Ages. The church forbade this activity for Christians.
THE DE VIREY MANSION
This former mansion of Enoch de Virey, mayor of Chalon, built in 1612 using brick and stone is attributed to the Lorraine architect Gentillâtre. It was doubled in size, imitating the existing building, during the installation of the
Sous Prefecture during the 19th century.
At the end on the left of the Impasse Villa Denon. House of the parents of Dominique Vivant Denon, artist, diplomat and French administrator, who was the 1st director of the Musée du Louvre in Paris.
The tower, remains of the gallo-roman wall, formed part of the fortified house of Sieur Saudon, liegeman of the Count of Chalon, around 1000. In the 17th century it was integrated into the chapel of the Oratoriens convent.
BIRTHPLACE OF NICÉPHORE NIÉPCE
15 rue de l’Oratoire Nicéphore Niépce was the inventor of the photographic process.
THE NOIROT MANSION
8 rue des Tonneliers This mansion was built around 1710 for a former mayor of Chalon in a quarter that was popular in the 17th and 18th centuries amongst the court nobles.
THE CHIQUET MANSION
5 rue des Tonneliers This huge rectangular mansion, in the antique style arranged around a courtyard, was built in
1770 for Madame Chiquet. In 1805 Napoleon 1st and then Pope Pius 7th stayed there.
CHURCH AND FORMER CONVENT OF ST PIERRE
The St Pierre church and convent were erected at the end of the 17th beginning f the 18th centuries by Benedictine
monks. Made the parish church in 1802, the acade was restored in 1900.
THE HOSPITALLERS’ CHAPEL
This 13th century chapel is the only remaining part of the site occupied by the Knights Templar which in the 14th century passed to the Knights of Malta, and now houses the Combatant Memorial Museum
THE LANCHARRE CONVENT
10 quai Gambetta A convent for the Benedictines who came from Lancharre. From 1626 onwards it covered a very
4 rue de Lyon The choir in the flat apse of the 15th century Carmelite chapel, is the only substantial element
remaining of this edifice, which was split into sections and sold during the Revolution. It now houses part of the town