Family walk along the canal and in the countryside.Its name comes from the Latin "fraxinus" (ash). Its territory is bordered by the stream of La Thalie. Fragnes was crossed by the Roman road from Chalon to Beaune which passed through the "Bois de Menuse" to the east of the town, and which seems to be the route of the current "route de Demigny" (CD19). Its Gallo-Roman history is proven by numerous discoveries. The partly Romanesque church was built on a feudal mound. In 1980, during work, there were found about 2000 deniers in excellent condition, dating from the 11th and 12th centuries, from several striking workshops. The town is crossed by the Canal du Center, dug from 1783 to 1791 under the direction of the engineer of the States of Burgundy Emiland Gauthey and connecting Digoin to Chalon, from the Loire to the Saône. Improvements have made Fragnes a very popular port for boaters. The towpaths have been transformed into a "greenway" frequented by hikers and cycle tourists; indeed we are on the "Nantes - Budapest" cycle route. In 1985 the town bought a beautiful 19th century property located along the canal. The buildings house a library, rooms for associations and the youth center. The park is a place of relaxation appreciated by locals and visitors. Fragnes developed significantly from 1975 with the arrival of the Kodak factory, partly located in the town. It is now demolished, it manufactured 24 X 36 films and 35 mm films. It was from 1999 that the town center was built: first the covered market and the nautical stop, then the shops. Find the starting point: go to the Place de la Porte Verte, near the Town Hall.
- Difference in height
- 35.5 m
- 36 meters of difference in height