See photos (7)
Fontaines : Road to calvaries
Loop , Cultural , Cultural History , Touring cyclist , Walks and hikes , Walking/pedestrian , Religious , Suitable for all in Fontaines
Warning: Unsecured hours
Follow the path of the Calvaries of Fontaines and discover this village and its heritage between stone and water.
Fontaines, village of Saône-et-Loire of 2472 hectares of which 532 in wood and 35 in vines, has a population of around 2000 inhabitants. Located between Chalon-sur-Saône and Beaune, it owes its name to the multiple sources that spring from its territory to supply fountains, washhouses and watering troughs before flowing into Thalie. The many streams that run through the village are so important in the hearts of the inhabitants that they are often called "rivers". In 1847, the village had no...
Fontaines, village of Saône-et-Loire of 2472 hectares of which 532 in wood and 35 in vines, has a population of around 2000 inhabitants. Located between Chalon-sur-Saône and Beaune, it owes its name to the multiple sources that spring from its territory to supply fountains, washhouses and watering troughs before flowing into Thalie. The many streams that run through the village are so important in the hearts of the inhabitants that they are often called "rivers". In 1847, the village had no less than six wheat mills and an oil mill. Village of water and stone, Fontaines can be seen today through its church, its Heritage House, its old quarries, its crosses and of course, its washhouses. Lovers of gentle roaming will also appreciate the proximity of the Canal du Center, which runs just 2 km east of the village, and the Green Way for walkers and cyclists which runs alongside it. 1: Saint-Just Church: this early 19th century Calvary is located in front of the church. It supports a cross with arms ending in a flower with 8 petals. 2. Cour de la cure: hidden behind the wall of the courtyard, this wrought iron cemetery cross is dated 1841. It is erected on a stone plinth bearing non-legible inscriptions. 3. Cemetery: road cross from the beginning of the 19th century, it bears a Christ held back by strong carved nails. In contrast, a character wears an "X" cross. 4. Place des planeanes: it is a commemorative cross from the end of the 19th century, the base of which bears an inscription dedicated to the memory of a certain François Rety. 5. Saint Nicolas: 18th century crossroads, it shows on one side a Christ crowned with thorns, and on the other a Virgin carrying the Child Jesus. 6. Departmental road D981: on the edge of the departmental road, this road cross, placed on a trapezoidal base dating from the 16th century, bears the date 1878. 7. Clos Saint-Blaise: this commemorative cross recalls the memory of a certain Pierre Verjus, farmer and winegrower. It is dated 1866. 8. The Fountains: this cross of the middle of the XIXth century shows in its cross a crown of thorns and on the other hand, a heart in the round. 9. Le Paquier: This Calvary, dating from the 17th century, shows a naive Christ on one side, and on the other, a small console surmounted by a canopy. 10. La Platière: This commemorative cross dated 1750 and 1766 bears a rustic Christ and at the back a heart in an interlacing and three nails. 11. Rue des Champs: This 18th century road cross shows a small Christ, and on the other hand, a veiled Virgin carrying an Infant Jesus.
- Difference in height
- 72.19 m
- GPX / KML files allow you to export the trail of your hike to your GPS (or other navigation tool)
- Points of interest
1 Église Saint-Just
bras terminés en fleur à 8 pétales.
2 Cour de la Cure
de 1841. Elle est dressée sur un socle en pierre portant des inscriptions non lisibles.
sculptés. À l’opposé, un personnage porte une croix en « X ».
4 Place des platanes
5 Saint Nicolas
et de l’autre une Vierge portant l’Enfant Jésus.
6 Route départementale D981
7 Clos Saint blaise
8 Les Fontaines
d’épines et à l’opposé, un cœur en rondebosse.
9 Le Paquier
sur l’autre, une petite console surmontée d’un dais.
10 La Platière
11 Rue des Champs
l’opposé, une Vierge voilée qui porte un Enfant Jésus.
- 72 meters of difference in height