img-name-mising

Guided tour of the Uxelles barracks, Cordeliers cloister

Guided tour in Chalon-sur-Saône
Free
  • Originally, the Uxelles Barracks was called the Cordeliers Barracks, a name derived from the cloister in which it was built. The Cordeliers convent was built between 1451 and 1460 at the request of the Duke of Burgundy, Philippe LE BON. The cloister comprised three buildings and a church built in place of the current central building. An imperial decree of 23 April 1810 gave the convent to the town of CHALON, which was responsible for its maintenance. In 1804, Austrian prisoners of war were...
    Originally, the Uxelles Barracks was called the Cordeliers Barracks, a name derived from the cloister in which it was built. The Cordeliers convent was built between 1451 and 1460 at the request of the Duke of Burgundy, Philippe LE BON. The cloister comprised three buildings and a church built in place of the current central building. An imperial decree of 23 April 1810 gave the convent to the town of CHALON, which was responsible for its maintenance. In 1804, Austrian prisoners of war were imprisoned there. In 1811 and 1812, the Austrians were succeeded by Spanish prisoners. In 1814 the cloister was transformed into an infirmary, then used as barracks. The 1st regiment that stayed there was a unit of horse hunters. In 1844, the cloister church was demolished to make way for a new building. On 13 September 1912, a major fire broke out in the central building, which was partially destroyed. After the 1914-1918 war, the Uxelles barracks housed certain services: recruitment, sub-intendence. It was then used to house Spanish refugees, then in 1940, Alsatian-Lorrain refugees. Then came the occupation when the Germans moved in. Many prisoners were locked up in the barracks for acts of resistance, as the graffiti on the walls of the attics testify. After the liberation, the Americans replaced them and then again the French Army, which set up a demobilisation centre there. Finally, in 1946, in June, the Ministry of the Interior rented the Uxelles barracks and set up the C.R.S. No. 82, which became the C.R.S. No. 43 on 1 January 1964.
  • Rates
  • Free
    From 0 €
Schedules
Schedules
  • From September 17, 2022 until September 18, 2022