Chemin de l'Orbandale Chalon sur Saône

Loop ,  Cultural ,  Historic ,  Walks and hikes ,  Walking/pedestrian at Chalon-sur-Saône
4 km
Walks and hikes
1h 30min
Easy
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
Office de Tourisme
  • Chalon-sur-Saône is one of the most beautiful places in France. Stroll, discover the pleasure of exploration, taste the treasures that history and men have inscribed in the stone, architecture, parks and gardens of a warm and welcoming city.

    Follow the Orbandale Way at your own time and pace
    This trail is called “Orbandale” after the poetic name given to the town of Chalon-sur-Saône during the Middle Ages. In 1662, the historian Léonard Bertaut published a book entitled “The Illustrated Orbandale, or the Ancient and Modern History of the city and town of Chalon sur Saône”, and cites many sources which mention this name. According to him, the name takes its origins from the three golden rings (orbes in old French) which constitute the town’s Coat of Arms, and which symbolize the three rows of gilded bricks that appeared on the old boundary walls that encircled the town.
  • Difference in height
    45.5 m
  • Documentation
    GPX / KML files allow you to export the trail of your hike to your GPS (or other navigation tool)
Points of interest
1 PORT VILLIERS
The port consists of steps hich were constructed around 1840 to make it easier for the many travellers to board the steam boats that navigated the river Saône.
2 STATUE OF NICÉPHORE NIÉPCE
Sculpted in 1885 by Eugène Guillaume who, in honour of the inventor of photography, made no charge for his work on this statue.
3 THE TOURIST OFFICE
Built between 1675 and 1710, this was a staging post for coaches and wagons, where horses were changed and merchandise stored.
4 NICÉPHORE NIÉPCE MUSEUM PHOTOGRAPHY
Formerly an office of the « Messageries Royales » (the first postal service), the museum now explains the evolution of photography from its invention to the digital age.
5 THE COLMONT FUSSELET MANSION
Built in 1773 facing the river Saône, it now houses the Heritage Centre which relates the 2000 years of Chalon’s history.
6 TOWER KNOWN AS “COCO LOUVRIER”
A watch tower which in the middle ages formed part of the fortifications on the banks of the Saône. It gets its name from a money lender who lived in the tower around 1800, and whose portrait can be seen in the Denon Museum.
7 SAINT-LAURENT BRIDGE
Originally built by the Romans around 30 BC, it has since been rebuilt twice. In the 14th century it became crowded with houses and mills, which were all removed and replaced with obelisks in the 18th century. The bridge was destroyed by the Germans in 1944 and then completely rebuilt shortly afterwards in concrete faced with stone.
8 HOSPITAL
The creation of a hospital on the Ile St-Laurent goes back to the beginning of the 16th century. The original nuns’ quarters, recognisable from the angled gable, date from that period. The main hospital buildings were built during the 19th century and replaced the original main hospital ward which was demolished in 1854. The dome, built in the 1770’s, was completely remodelled during the hospital modernisation programme (1854 to 1870).
9 DOYENNÉ TOWER
Originally, it housed the staircase to the lodgings of the eldest of the canons of the Cathedral (in the current courtyard) Rue Edgar Quinet. In 1907 it was sold, taken down and sent for auction in Paris. A rich American patron of the arts, Frank Jay-Gould, bought it and gave it back to the commune which, in 1927 installed it on the Ile St-Laurent.
10 THE BARRACKS, FORMERLY THE CORDELIERS MONASTERY
In 1450 the Cordeliers (Franciscan friars) from Dole formed a monastery on the island at the request of Philippe le Bon, Duke of Burgundy. Their establishment was entirely rebuilt between 1663 and 1693. In 1844 military engineers demolished the church to enlarge the barracks. Before 1914, these could house 4 companies each of 115 men; today the barracks are home to the 43rd Company of the CRS.
11 THE CHAPEL OF THE FORMER HOSPITAL
with its eclectic style, was built in 1873 on the site of a former hospital ward. Although taking inspiration from a variety of different periods, it was constructed using modern materials, including metal used for the roof supports.
12 GENISE BRIDGE
Dating from 1459, the bridge over La Genise, a natural arm of the Saône, was repaired in 1682 before collapsing in 1696. Rebuilt in 1699 with solid piers, domed deck and basket handle arches, it was enlarged in 1857 and strengthened in 1942.
13 QUAI DE LA MONNAIE (THE MINT QUAY) AND THE PUMPS IN THE PLACE THEVENIN
The Quai de la Monnaie gets its name from during the Middle Ages when the Dukes of Burgundy minted money here during the Middle Ages. The pumps enabled clean water to be pumped up from the water table under the bed of the Saône, and were installed circa 1871, thanks to the generosity of the Thévenin family.
14 THE MOTHE HOUSE
9-11 rue Saint-Vincent Dating from late 15th to early 16th centuries, the main body of the house was constructed of two parts, one in stone and the other half-timbered, linked by a tower enclosing a spiral staircase to the upper floors (visible from the street).
15 THE HOUSE WITH THREE ATTICS
7 rue Saint-Vincent Built circa 1500 this house owes its name to its half timbered facade rising to high roofs which are pierced with three levels of skylights. It belonged to the Riboudeau family, wealthy Chalon merchants.
16 THE LOMBARDS’ HOUSE
This stone tower house built in the 13th century would have belonged to one of the notable Lombardy Jewish families, known for their role as money lenders during the great fairs of the Middle Ages. The church forbade this activity for Christians.
17 SAINT VINCENT’S CATHEDRAL AND PLACE
Built in the Roman and Gothic styles from 1080 to the 16th century. The facade which was destroyed during the Revolution was rebuilt from 1827 in the Neo-gothic style.
18 THE PICCOLO THEATRE
All that remains of the original 1776 theatre is the facade, where the taste for the antique style is visible in its sobriety and in the choice of ionic columns and capitals. The rest of the Italian-style theatre was completely rebuilt in 1886.
19 THE OLD CHAMBION HOUSE
40 rue Saint Georges This mid-19th century folly, mixing eastern fantasy and the Middle Ages, was built on a part of the former 13th century monastery of the charitable order of Saint Antoine.
20 THE SASSENAY MANSION
38 rue Saint Georges Situated between a courtyard and a garden, the mansion belonged to the Du Ble d’Uxelles family, whose members had been governors of the Royal Citadel of Chalon during the 17th and 18th centuries.
21 THE DE VIREY MANSION
This former mansion of Enoch de Virey, mayor of Chalon, built in 1612 using brick and stone is attributed to the Lorraine architect Gentillâtre. It was doubled in size, imitating the existing building, during the installation of the Sous Prefecture during the 19th century.
22 VILLA DENON
At the end on the left of the Impasse Villa Denon. House of the parents of Dominique Vivant Denon, artist, diplomat and French administrator, who was the 1st director of the Musée du Louvre in Paris.
23 SAUDON TOWER
The tower, remains of the gallo-roman wall, formed part of the fortified house of Sieur Saudon, liegeman of the Count of Chalon, around 1000. In the 17th century it was integrated into the chapel of the Oratoriens convent.
24 BIRTHPLACE OF NICÉPHORE NIÉPCE
15 rue de l’Oratoire Nicéphore Niépce was the inventor of the photographic process.
25 THE TOWN HALL BELFRY
In 1407 the city aldermen acquired a house for use as a town hall. The staircase tower raised in 1429 housed the bells that proclaim the power of the municipal institution. The belfry is all that remains today.
26 THE NOIROT MANSION
8 rue des Tonneliers This mansion was built around 1710 for a former mayor of Chalon in a quarter that was popular in the 17th and 18th centuries amongst the court nobles.
27 THE CHIQUET MANSION
5 rue des Tonneliers This huge rectangular mansion, in the antique style arranged around a courtyard, was built in 1770 for Madame Chiquet. In 1805 Napoleon 1st and then Pope Pius 7th stayed there.
28 THE FOUR SEASONS HOUSE
37 rue du Châtelet Built in 1657 for Barthelemy Magnien, a parliamentary advocate. The Roman style bas reliefs in plaster show four faces in profile and carrying flowers, a sheaf of corn, fruit and a bundle of firewood representing the four seasons.
29 THE PERRY HOUSE
3 rue au Change In 1614 the lawyer Louis Perry, alderman and later mayor of Chalon, commissioned the architect Gentillâtre to build this classical and richly decorated house.
30 TOWN HALL
Opened in 1844, it is built on the remains of the 15th century Carmelite convent which became the tribunal (1822). The neoclassical facade is the work of the architect Eugene Piot.
31 DENON MUSEUM
Originally built over part of the Ursulines convent, the building was updated in the neo-classical style in 1820-1822 in order to house a free art school. The museum, inaugurated in 1866, contains collections of fine art and of archaeology.
32 CHURCH AND FORMER CONVENT OF ST PIERRE
The St Pierre church and convent were erected at the end of the 17th beginning f the 18th centuries by Benedictine monks. Made the parish church in 1802, the acade was restored in 1900.
33 THE HOSPITALLERS’ CHAPEL
This 13th century chapel is the only remaining part of the site occupied by the Knights Templar which in the 14th century passed to the Knights of Malta, and now houses the Combatant Memorial Museum
34 THE LANCHARRE CONVENT
10 quai Gambetta A convent for the Benedictines who came from Lancharre. From 1626 onwards it covered a very large area.
35 CARMELITE CHAPEL
4 rue de Lyon The choir in the flat apse of the 15th century Carmelite chapel, is the only substantial element remaining of this edifice, which was split into sections and sold during the Revolution. It now houses part of the town library.
46 meters of difference in height
  • Start altitude : 178 m
  • End altitude : 179 m
  • Maximum altitude : 188 m
  • Minimum altitude : 173 m
  • Total positive elevation : 46 m
  • Total negative elevation : -45 m
  • Max positive elevation : 7 m
  • Min positive elevation : -8 m